Monday, June 23, 2014

FitBit Flex review

I thought I would take some time to go over what I thought about the FitBit Flex with anyone who is considering purchasing one.  Overall, I am very happy with it.  It is a bigger investment at $100, so that is something to keep in mind.  I checked around at various sites and couldnt find it any cheaper so I opted to go with the place were I got the biggest percentage of cashback, which was Nordstrom.  They also had free shipping, so it was the best value.  Being the girly girl I am I wanted to pink band, but it was on backorder so I went with the slate blue one.  It took 2 days to arrive and I have been using it on a fairly daily basis since then.  Its been about 3 weeks now so I think I have a pretty good hand on how everything works.

It is easiest to download the app directly to your phone so you can see everything as it updates.  It does use Bluetooth to connect so to save battery life on my phone I turn off the updates and manually view them.  This is what the main screen looks like when you first log on.  Ideally you should take 10,000 steps daily, so that is what it is based on.  I have been at work all day so give me a little slack on the numbers you see, lol!

 
 
You can look at your steps in a graph with the breakdown thru the day so that can help you see where the biggest impact is coming.
You can get it to show up bigger but this was the easiest way to capture it.  You can also log extra activities that the band wouldnt count, but the calories burned will be added to your daily totals.  You can add your current weight and how much you want to lose, and it will tell you how many calories you should eat/burn daily.  I havent used this as much as I should, but will be making it a goal to start doing it in July. 

Something I really like is that it will monitor your sleep.  You can see how long you slept versus when you were restless.  While I cannot help being restless its nice to see when I had a really good nights sleep. 


 
 
You can also buy bands in all kinds of colors.  I bought one off amazon, but its a generic brand and I was a little worried about how strong the hold was on it, so I bought the pink band from Fitbit directly, which I love.  I wear a lot or darker colors normally so the pink adds a nice pop of color.  Plus the majority of my workout tops are pink so it was a must buy for me, lol!





As far as the cons go, you do need to use as external charger to charge the device, so you need to make sure you dont lose it.  They are about $30 to replace (I think) so its not a cheap item.



Also, while I do feel its pretty secure I do worry about it falling off from reading other reviews.  It had not come loose at all though in the past 3 weeks, so that is a good sign.  And lastly, when I wake up after wearing it at night it feels a little uncomfortable so I take it off while I get ready.....and sometimes forget to put it back on when I am running out the door.  I am allergic to plastic/latex and havent had any actual skin irritations to the band though.

So to sum it up, I am pleased with the purchase, and look forward to it helping me on my journey to a healthier lifestyle!

No comments:

Post a Comment